Friday, August 14, 2009

everything literature - books subject to prejudice - Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird

The following quotations contain a word that many people may find offensive

'There's a lot of ugly things in this world, son. I wish I could keep 'em all away from you. That's never possible.'-Atticus

'Why reasonable people go stark raving mad when anything involving a Negro comes up, is something I don't pretend to understand.' ~ Chapter 9, spoken by the character Atticus

'They're certainly entitled to think that, and they're entitled to full respect for their opinions... but before I can live with other folks I've got to live with myself.' ~Chapter 11, spoken by the character Atticus


Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird was banned from a Secondary School in Canada following a lone complaint from a parent about the use of a racial slur. Ironically, the book talks about racial injustace.

http://classiclit.about.com/b/2008/09/28/save-a-banned-book-today.htm

About Me

My photo
I started writing poetry and fiction when I was about 11 years old. I was awarded 2 top national literature prizes at an early age.Later I became involved in numerous literary circles in my native country, Romania. This project is a dedication to my mother, inspired teacher of literature and independent thinker.

Followers